With Summer on its way out in the USA and on its way in in Australia, it’s the perfect time to share with you some of my favourite food, styling and DIY tips for amazing summer get-togethers.
In this episode of Sweet Styling, I show you how to style up your Summer Party with Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes, Pink Lemonade, Ice Cream jars and much more!
Everything you need to know to DIY your next Summer Party with some seriously Sweet Style!
Lemon & Poppyseed Cupcakes (makes 12 regular or 24 mini)
- 1.5 cups self raising flour
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup caster / superfine sugar
- 200g softened butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 lemons, plus additional to serve
- 2tbsp poppyseeds
- Finely zest 2 lemons and extract juice
- Combine the lemon juice with the milk and set aside
- Place butter, sugar and vanilla into a medium bowl and mix on high speed approx. 3 minutes till light and fluffy
- Add eggs and beat to combine
- Add sifted flour , lemon zest nd room temperature milk and mix until all ingredients are just combined – do not overmix
- Line a mini cupcake tray with cupcake cases
- Fill each cupcake case approx. 2/3 full
- Bake in a moderate oven (180c / 350f) for 12-15 minutes until the cupcake springs back when touched lightly in the centre
Fresh Raspberry frosting
- 250g Softened butter
- 5 cups Confectioners sugar
- 2 cups frozen raspberries
- 2tbsp sugar
- Combine raspberries & sugar in a saucepan over medium heat
- Cook until all liquid has evaporated (approx 15 mins)
- Pass through a fine sieve removing seeds & allow to cool
- Using an electric mixer, whip butter until light and fluffy (minimum 5 minutes)
- Gradually add confectioners sugar 1/2 cup at a time, mixing 3 minutes between each addition
- Add cooled raspberry puree to the frosting mix
- Place frosting in a piping bag with a star piping tip
- Pipe a round swirl around the edge of the lemon, covering the outside edge of the cupcake
- Add the small lemon ‘lid’ and accentuate with a cocktail umbrella & straw
Pink Strawberry Lemonade
- 1 cup caster / superfine sugar
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 cups roughly chopped fresh strawberries (about 12 oz.)
- 2 lemons, skin peeled off in strips with a vegetable peeler (avoid the white pith)
- 2 cups fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 litre 7-up or Sprite
- Additional orange & lemon slices and whole fresh strawberries to serve
- Boil the water and sugar together, stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add chopped strawberries to the hot liquid and remove from heat allowing to cool completely
- Pour the cooled syrup and berries into a fine sieve set over a pitcher or drink dispenser. With the back of a spoon or a rubber spatula, squish the berries to extract most of the syrup. Discard the solids.
- Add the lemon juice and 2-1/2 cups cold water to the syrup mixture and stir until well blended.
- Add 7-up or Sprite, sliced oranges and lemons and whole strawberries along with a healthy amount of ice just prior to serving
- The lemonade can be served immediately or refrigerated for up to two days.
- 1 cup caster / superfine sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup lemon juice (approx 6 large lemons)
- 2 to 3 cups cold water (to dilute)
- Additional orange, lemon & lime slices to serve
- Boil the water and sugar together, stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Juice your lemons.
- Pour the juice and the simple syrup sugar water into a serving pitcher.
- Add 2 to 3 cups of cold water and taste.
- Add more water if you would like it to be more diluted or 7-up / Sprite for a refreshing summer fizz and some additional sweetness
- Add sliced oranges, lemons and limes along with a healthy amount of ice just prior to serving
No Churn Ice Cream Recipe:
- 200g sweetened condensed milk
- 600ml double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Put the condensed milk, cream and vanilla into a large bowl.
- Beat with an electric whisk until thick and quite stiff, a bit like clotted cream.
- Pour into individual mason jars and freeze until solid.
VARIATIONS TO ICE CREAM:
Strawberry Ice Cream
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1tbsp sugar
- Boil strawberries & sugar until all liquid has evaporated
- Chill until cold
- Swirl through vanilla ice cream recipe prior to pouring into mason jars
Mint Chip Ice Cream
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1tsp green food coloring
- 2tsp peppermint extract
- Make vanilla ice cream recipe adding mint extract & green food colouring in place of vanilla
- Fold through chocolate chips prior to pouring into mason jars